To make sure you get every tax credit and deduction that you are entitled to, we put together a handy checklist to help you prepare all documents and information you need to prepare your tax return. Please note that it could take to end of March 2023 to receive all documents relating to your 20212 tax return. To prepare your income tax return accurately, please make sure you provide us with all documents, receipts, and income records.
- A copy of last year’s return, including spouse’s return if not being processed together
- Contact details (address, email, Phone #)
- 2021 Notice of Assessment
- Other years’ reassessments (if any)
- Details of changes to your personal status such as dates of marriage, separation, divorce or widowed, births and deaths
- Names of spouse, dependents and dates of birth
- Instalment tax payments
- Custody Arrangement documentation and separation agreement
- Details of foreign property holdings (if any) including cost and type of property held
- Any correspondence from CRA
- Employment income (T4)
- COVID-19 benefits you received (T4A)
- Pension income (T4A, T4A(P), T4RIF, T4RSP)
- Old age security (T4OAS)
- Investment income (T5, T3)
- Income from employment insurance (T4E)
- Income from partnerships (T5013)
- Workers compensation/social assistance payments (T5007)
- Details of the sale of securities such as stocks and bonds (e.g. trading summary from your broker) (T5008)
- Details of real estate sales
- Income from foreign investments
- Spousal support payments received
- RRSP contributions
- Medical, dental, prescription drugs, nursing home expenses
- Payments to a private health insurance plan
- Charitable donations
- Tuition fees/education amount (T2202, TL11A, TL11C, TL11D) for yourself or transferred from a dependent such as a child or grandchild
- Interest paid on student loans
- Interest on loans assumed to purchase investments
- Professional dues, union dues
- Professional consultant fees
- Professional certification exams
- Legal fees paid to establish child or spousal support or to enforce a pre-existing agreement
- Legal fees paid to recover wages from your employer
- Details of people you support and their medical status
- Moving expenses if you moved 40km or closer to work or school
- Political contributions receipts
- Disability tax credit claim form completed by authorized health practitioner (T2201)
- Spousal support payments paid
- Adoption expenses
- Declaration of conditions of employment form (T2200, T2200S)
- Details of expenses not reimbursed by your employer including travel expenses (e.g. parking, taxis, bus fare), supplies and salaries of assistants
- Office rent if required as a condition of employment
Home office expenses if it is your principal workplace or used exclusively, on a regular or continuous basis for activities such as business-related meetings; include details of rent paid, repairs and maintenance costs, utilities and if you are a commissioned salesperson also property taxes and home insurance. Indicate the total area of your home and the area used for your workspace.
- If you are a commissioned salesperson, details
- supporting advertising expenses, promotion, meals and entertainment
- Motor vehicle expenses and km log
Motor vehicle (if eligible)
- Vehicle, purchase invoice/lease agreement
- Total kilometers driven, and kilometers driven just for work and km log
- Details of total expenses incurred for gasoline, maintenance and repairs, insurance, license and registration, loan interest and lease payments
Business Income (Sole Proprietor and Partnership)
- Total sales revenue for the year
- Total expenses listed by category for the year
- Capital assets acquired (e.g. computers, furniture and equipment)
- Home office expenses — include details of rent paid or if you own your home, details of repairs and maintenance, utilities, property taxes, insurance, mortgage interest, square footage of both home and office space
- Motor vehicle expenses
- Address and number of units
- Rental income by unit
- Rental expenses by unit and by category of expense
- Motor vehicle expenses
- Partners’ names, addresses and SINs
- Legal fees
Ontario Staycation Credit - Provide receipts for eligible accommodation expenses (hotel, cottage, vacation rental property, lodge, resort, or campground located in Ontario). Receipt must be in your or your spouse's name.
Ontario Senior Care at Home Tax Credit - A credit can be claimed for medical expenses to help a senior (70+) stay at home. Please provide medical expenses incurred in 2022 (attendant care, medical practitioner, walking aids, wheelchairs, bathroom aids, etc).
Senior's Home Safety Tax Credit - A temporary tax credit for making a home safer or more accessible for seniors over 65. Please provide receipts for renovation expenses incurred in 2022.
Ontario Jobs Training Tax Credit - A temporary jobs training tax credit to help with training, retraining, or sharpen your skills. Please provide receipts for fees paid to an eligible educational institution in Canada for courses taken during the year, also fees paid for an occupational, trade or professional examination taken during the year.
Digital News Subscription Tax Credit - Provide receipts for digital subscription with a qualified Canadian journalism organization.
Home Accessibility Tax Credit - Provide receipts for renovation performed on a qualifying renovation to make the home more accessible for seniors and disabled dependants.
Teacher and Early Childhood Educator School Supply Tax Credit - Provide receipts for eligible teaching supplies.
Canada Training Credit - Provide receipts for for fees paid to an eligible educational institution in Canada for courses taken during the year, also fees paid for an occupational, trade or professional examination taken during the year.
Attendant Care and Nursing Home Expenses - Receipts for attendant care at a facility such as nursing home, retirement home, homes for seniors. Note - If you hired an attendant privately, the attendant may be considered an employee.
Please note that above list may not apply to everyone and some situations may require more information that is not listed above. We will be happy to advise you of what additional information may be required once we know your situation.